Graphic1

Graphic1

Monday, January 18, 2016

First Taste (Boar Snout Amber Ale); My Everyday House Ale

As of this weekend, the time finally came to taste the fruit of one's labor; the first house amber in over ten years of homebrew inactivity. And I was not disappointed! Except for a slight chill haze and the need for a bit more carbonation (easily fixed with patience), this was a near perfect batch as far as I can tell. I was impressed with the residual sweetness and the bitterness was perfectly balanced against the malt. I'll definitely be holding back a couple of bottles of this batch in case any competitions come my way in the spring. Otherwise it will soon be time to get another batch going as I don't think this will be lasting long.

Although this shot appears a bit dark, this is a classic amber ale; what I refer to lovingly as "Boar Snout Amber". It is meant to be a clone of Sam Adam's Boston Ale. I think the alcohol, mouth-feel, bitterness and hop aroma are right on!

Next up, the Dunkleweiss; scheduled to be tasted on January 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment